- Registered Girl Scout adult volunteer for the year of nomination.
- Service given benefits at least one Troop within Council jurisdiction.
- Minimum of five continuous years as Troop Leader.
- Has served as an exemplary role model for girls in demonstrating the Girl Scout Promise and Law and EPIC.
- Nomination by the girls and parents of the Troop. Six endorsement letters, three of which are from the parents of the Troop.
- Retention and/or growth of Troop membership. Troop has maintained Troop size for at least two years.
- Completion of all required training for position.
- Participation in Council and/or Service Unit events.
- Financial reports submitted on time of all five years.
- Additional service has been performed above Troop Leadership (such as SU Team position, hosted SU event, or served on a Council Committee).
- Only one Leader of the Year presented each year.
- Presented at Annual Meeting.
- Nomination Form and Letter.
- Six letters of endorsement, three of which are from parents of the Troop.
- Completion of the Leader of the Year checklist.