One of the most common questions GSUSA is receiving:
“Are girls allowed to solicit donations for other organizations?”
The answer is:
• At this time, we are not allowing troop fundraising for other organizations.
• When asked if girls can raise money for other organizations, please direct them to helping sister Girl Scouts—girls fundraising for other organizations is not permitted.
• Contributions may be directed to a specific council or councils through their online giving sites. To give, go to http://donate.girlscouts.org/hurricanerecovery where you will find links to the online giving sites for all eight councils, as well as the giving form for the Hurricane Sandy Recovery Fund.
GSUSA and many councils including Heart of the Hudson, Greater New York, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Northern New Jersey, Heart of New Jersey, Central & Southern New Jersey, and Jersey Shore were affected and have staff and volunteers still working to recover.
The affected CEOs have asked that we help spread the following message:
“It has meant a great deal to the Girl Scout councils impacted by Hurricane Sandy that so many of our Girl Scout sisters and friends have taken the time to reach out to us from around the country and around the world asking how to help. While we know you wish to support the affected councils, please be patient and hold off on calling or contacting the councils directly, so they may keep their attention focused on the highest recovery priorities.
Here’s more information from GSUSA:
• We ask that you please refrain from calling or contacting the councils directly, as that is adding stress to an already stressed council and diverting attention from the highest recovery priorities.
• Although material donations and troop offers of assistance are appreciated, the councils are not currently in a position to process and organize them. It has meant so much to us that so many of our Girl Scout sisters and friends have taken the time to reach out to us from around the country and around the world asking how to help.
• Girl Scouting will continue to thrive in the affected areas thanks to the dedication of volunteers, staff and the girls themselves. Please continue to check the Girl Scout blog http://blog.girlscouts.org/ for further updates on how you can further assist our councils in their recovery efforts.